Madeira, a Portuguese island on Atlantic Ocean. Its currency is euro, and banks, ATMs, exchange offices and other currency exchange places are easily found, so don’t worry about cash. Most places also accept payment cards.
As for the prices on Madeira alone, they are 15% higher than those from mainland Portugal. This is due to the fact that some products have to be imported, and the island’s economy is tourism-based.
It’s a pretty expensive place for visitors from Central or Eastern Europe.
However, choosing the island of eternal spring is certainly worth spending money on attractions and local fruit.
Food prices in Madeira
Food is best bought in supermarkets. Unfortunately, there are not many of them in Madeira. The most popular supermarket chain is Pingo Doce. Usually, they are not free-standing buildings we are used to see in continental Europe – you have to look for them in larger shopping centers, for example with underground car parks or simply look at advertising banners.
As for smaller stores, the further from the shore, the cheaper the goods are.
The prices of individual products in shops are as follows:
- milk (1l) 0.50-0.60 euro
- 6 eggs 0.85 euro
- bread roll 0.15 euro
- bread 0.70 – 1.50 euro
- local cheese 5-11 euro per kg
- small yogurt 0,25 euro
- poultry cold cut (150 g) 2 euro
- fish paste 0.40 euro
- tomatoes 1 – 2 euro per kg
- cucumbers 1.50 – 1.60 euro per kg
- lettuce 0.50 – 1.40 euro
- orange 0.80 – 1.50 euro per kg
- bananas 0.80 – 1.90 euro per kg
- potatoes 0.50 – 1 euro per kg
- rice 0.65 – 1 euro per kg
- chicken 2.30 – 2.50 per kg
- chicken breast 3.50 – 7 euro per kg
- beef 6 – 12 euro per kg
- fish 5 euro per kg (average)
- water (1.5l) 0.20 – 1 euro
- juice (1.5l) 1.10 euro
- cola (1.5 liters) 1.25 euro
Prices of alcohol and cigarettes in Madeira:
- local beer (0.5l) 0.60 – 1.50 euro
- imported beer (0.33l) 0.80 – 2 euro
- Portuguese wine 5-6 euros
- Madeira wine(0.7l) at least 8-12 euro
- Poncha from 2 euro for the smallest bottle
- decent cigarettes 4-5 euro
Prices in restaurants in Madeira:
For a meal in a restaurant, you will pay up to 15 euro, 10 on average. Bar snacks cost 3 euro, up to 8 max. It is worth asking for the so-called dish of the day, where for 10-20 euro you will get a starter, main course and dessert.
Prices of individual dishes in restaurants and bars in Madeira:
- sandwich 3 euro
- fast food set 5-6 euro
- lapas (rice porridge) 4-8 euro per portion
- fish dish from 6.50 euro
- shrimp approx. 11 euro
- tuna steak 12 euro
- scabbardfish with fried bananas and passion fruit sauce 13.50 euro
- meat dish with salad 12.50 euro
Pastry, drinks and alcohols:
- coffee 0,70 – 2 euro
- coffee + cake 2-3 euro
- piece of cake 4 euro
- small stuffed buns 0.80 euro piece
- water (0.33l) 0.50 – 1 euro
- cola (0.33l) 1-1.50 euro
- fresh orange juice from 2 euro
- local beer (0.5l) 1 – 2 euro
- imported beer (0.33l) 1 – 3 euro
- poncha 2.5 – 3 euro
Accommodation prices in Madeira
Madeira offers a variety of accommodations in hotels, hostels, boarding houses and camping sites. You will find somewhere to stay for every budget. A day in a hostel will cost 12-15 euro per person. A two-star hotel costs 50 euro per room, and a four-star hotel costs over 110 euro. It all depends on how comfortable you want the room to be.
The price of transport in Madeira
- renting a car out of season – 10 euro / day, three to four times more in the summer
- a liter of gasoline is around 1.30 – 1.50 euro
- local one way ticket 1.20- 2.20 euro
- monthly ticket 30-40 euro
- taxi 3-4 euro for entry plus 0.50-1 euro for each km
Prices of attractions in Madeira
Many attractions are free, especially when it comes to admiring nature, hiking along mountain trails or admiring religious monuments.
Prices of local attractions:
- a traditional sled ride 15 euro
- cable car – Funchal-Monte 15 euro
- Sao Vicente lava caves 8 euro
- a wine bar with tasting of approx. 6 euro
- a trip along the levadas with a guide 25-30 euro
- Centro de Ciencia Viva (Center for Science and Life) 5 euro adults, 2.50 euro children (5-14 years)
- Santana theme park 10 euro adults, 8 euro children (5-14 years)
Tourist map of Madeira
See the current tourist map of Madeira, which will help you locate the places of interest on the island:
If you spend your holiday in Madeira and you have the latest price information on this island, we invite you to comment and give us up-to-date information on prices. You will find more about the island itself on its official website where detailed information is published.